Skip to main content

Back in Ubud Bali x ThanTha Ubud Villa

The last time I was in Bali was 7 years ago and it started with Ubud as well.

Updated: I was in Bali 3 years ago, but for work. Barely explored outside of the hotel, slipped my mind and I must have not considered that as a visit 😂

I was very young at that time, just decided to leave the first company I was working with after 2 years. I wanted to come back home to be close to mum. She wasn't feeling very well. My relationship with my then partner deteriorated because of my decision to come back. And then there was the hindsight that I would be jobless.

Stressed, emotional and borderline losing it, there were so many things going on in my life at that time that I was desperate for an escape.

And traveling soared as the trendiest thing at that time, with flights dropped as low as RM 100 return to possibly any Asian destination, emerging social media with filtered photos fueling it. I was among the hundreds that bought these cheap fares, I didn't even looked at the dates, nor seasons. I was so impulsive.

I was a rugged cheapskate, with just a maximum carry on weight bag pack which meant little clothes. My main intention was to just merely be there. I knew very, very, very little of Bali, but I saw the famous movie.

Fast forward 7 years later, with an incredible timing of everything in my life, this trip amplified and morphed into one of the best I've had much to its huge contrast when I first came.

I have enough clothes to doll me for a decent breakfast, a lunch, a special dinner, and a swim. I no longer crumple them in my bag pack. I neatly folded them in my rollers, packed a complete beauty kit along with a mascara curler, phone chargers, and even brought a hat.

This time, I was prepared.
For what? 😊
I don't know. A good time maybe. 

Like age does. Age always knows a good time. 

***

Initially, I didn't want to go back to Ubud, I've been there I thought. But after viewing hundreds and hundreds of listings online, my heart gravitated towards Ubud so much that I even contemplated to spend the entire stay there. F Seminyak I thought!

So after battling with myself (it's not easy haha), I decided to split half of my trip in Ubud and the other half in Seminyak. Cause I really wanted to meet Ratih and Thrissa too.

I wanted a VERY relaxing trip. I wanted to wake up as late as I can. Chill as much as I can. Swim as much as I can. And take as much photos as I can. Cause you know what's annoying? When you travel with someone or people in general and you wanna take as much good photos as you can but they all keep killing your vibe and you're like 😑 fk let me be


ThanTha Ubud Villa

ThanTha sprung out of the hundreds of listing from nowhere, almost like a shooting star. A sparkling brand new villa with only four villas, each has its own pool (YES!) an enclosed space covered in trees and greens only (double YES!).



I arrived at the villa around 3pm after my driver Pak Bagus +62 878 6088 0550 (Whatsapp) picked me up, sorted by Ratih. She's a sweetheart!

As you would too after traveling at least 6 hours collectively (even though it's still Asia!), I arrived haphazardly after falling asleep in the car for about 2 hours. I was so exhausted, I just wanted to rest.  And then I was welcomed by Komang and the gang 💫

The boys looked at me like I was some kind of fallen angel, or they were probably wondering what an obscure Asian girl doing alone in their villa. They seated me and gave me orange juice, you know I always forget how a welcome drink makes me feel, until I'm offered one 😍

He calmed me down, spoke to me in Malay no less and asked how my travels have been. While the other boys smiled at me from behind him. Balinese are so sweet I am reminded.

After paying my stay, he gave me his number.
Just in case you need to call me, after 9pm we won't be around. 

***

The first thing I did when I walked into my private villa was PHOTOS!!



After hundreds of photos, a dying phone, and a very tired self, I decided to sleep on the hammock. That. Was. Pure. Joy. I finally caught up on the book my sister bought for me. And possibly caught up on the actual sleep I have been dreaming for - for months!

Yes this year has been A LOT BETTER, but it's always waking up to something when you're back home. Waking up to work, errands, there's always something!

But boy, not when you're on holiday. 

You're probably just waking up to breakfast. Or maybe that's me. I hate itineraries.
So 99% of the time, I get to enjoy my breakfast.


Ever since Italy, I have this strange obsession of waking up to the smell of coffees eventhough I don't feel like drinking them. So I did the same.

I put some Balinese coffee into hot water and let the scent seep into the air.
It's super wonderful, sorry for the wastage, but it's like aromatherapy.


I loved the fact that the villa was facing a small street as opposed to a big one.

Dogs are like security guards here in Bali, Komang said.


I spent the first night ordering room service, and ordered pork ribs. Lol, the life I know. I genuinely wasn't sure what to order.


I met Wira the Villa's Managing Director on the last day I was there. We spoke about the many things I can help him with, and maybe the many opportunities we can expand. He gave me more pictures to me for his other villas.

So after this post, I told him I'd post on the other two villlas.

Minus the two afternoons I spent learning how to do my batik and visiting Ubud Market, I literally lazed around the villa and swam, and eat, and swam and continued sleeping the entire time. It was a dream holiday.



Thank you Komang, the other boys, and Wira for taking care of this lady when I stayed with all of you. Balinese hospitality is undoubtedly one of the best in the world, I'm sure the world knows that, but why does it feel so genuine all the time is beyond explanation.


Thank you everyone, I love a photo of me with my wrinkles.

Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.