Skip to main content

The new home

Mid year last year I decided to build a house by myself for myself. This will be a practical post of how I have the funds, the land, the time and the many support to actually make this happen.




The land



Let's start with where? Bought by mum about 50 meters away from our family home, throughout the years mum have successfully maintained any payments in regards to this land which include but not limited to quit rent, assessment and etc.

For the past 20 years the land was a bush-field at one time a forest, with tall and big trees including these REALLY TALL acacia trees that became really haunting at one point. There were a few times mum had to clear the land and this involved lots of money.

Clearly maintenance wasn't easy. We put a blind eye on the "forest" every time we drive back home. Just before my brother's wedding, we decided *or at least I* that was finally going to do something about it.



Where did I get the bulk of the money, we sold a second family home of course

Somewhere in the 90s my dad bought a second home that was located about 30 minutes away from our first family home. He was in his brightest days, an aspiring political secretary. At that time, it was visionary to have a second home where he bought it (it was near Sabah's biggest public university and navy ports). But after 20 years, mum already in the 60s and all three of us have very very busy lives with work and personal lives, maintaining another house have become a chore.

Just before my brother's wedding, we decided that we were going to do something about it. And in consensus, to finally sell it. By incredible grace of luck, we manage to sell the house within a span of just weeks after deciding it to our price. To the neighbor that is living next door no less!

It was still in the property bubble, many properties struggled to sell itself, but we did it with almost a blink of an eye. I'd say, serendipity.

Decidedly, we split it four ways. Bro used some to fund for his wedding, Remember the bush-field? Well, *I* decided to build myself a bachelorette house on it.


How did I start 

First, mum and I agreed to share the name of the land. This is to avoid one person overpowering another of course.

Secondly, decide on a budget and a house plan. These two must make the perfect couple. They must go hand in hand in every decision I have to make. I had a very VERY small budget of only RM 130k. Imagine that! Because truth it, it was only just that that I had. So I went around asking for opinions. People say I must have blue prints, architects, draftsman and quantity surveyor.

And the forest? Before there were even bricks and cement coming to my house I had to first clear the forest. I wasn't joking when I said forest. Even before I had to start ANYTHING, below was the amount I've had to fork out for just "clearing".
  • Cutting the huge ass trees = RM 8000 
  • Clearing the huge ass trees residues, and flattening most of the areas = RM 5100 
Not trying to intimidate you guys, but I already had to fork out RM 13100 before even any construction took place. Luckily, the land was a shared land with my sister so we split half on the land clearing.


The biggest stress begins - negotiating price, listing materials and labor 

This was my biggest nightmare. Like I had literal nightmares, body clenched and crying at nights kind of nightmare.

Looking at my minuscule budget; I had to shrink my dream home into a small house. No HGTV dream home, no architects, no draftsman, no quantity surveyor. I couldn't afford them simply put.

I GOOGLED the house plans (I'm not even joking I can't even). I chose the most basic, most average plan via Google but with the open concept I wanted. I even tried to do a digital layout in one of those house planners website. But really, aint nobody got time for that

I met with a few "contractors" whom promised to be able to do many things, but after finally being introduced to an uncle who was meant to be the main contractor, and quite honestly more so just a coordinator, I finally settled on that guy. He matched my budget and promised me the moons.

The upfront payment request for labor sent shivers down my spine. Just thinking about it now gets me anxious. After speaking to a few people including my mum, turns out it was a pretty normal thing to pay an x amount of money upfront for labor.
  • Upfront payment: RM 8000 (even before you see anything built or even see people) 

I was screaming scam, but I was such a newbie to this whole thing that I really felt I should trust the hearsay common process. So I transferred to uncle RM 8000.

One day later. I see people started coming in and real works finally took place. I sighed a HUGE relief. But the relief didn't last.

Within a span of a day, Uncle laid out a list of things he wanted. Rocks type a, sand, rocks type b, bricks, pipes, metals, nails etc. And honestly, NO ONE was really helping me out. No one was guiding me hand in hand, my brother would toss suggestions (he was based in KL, busy with marriage life too) and mum is the closest to the voice of reason I needed. Financial management, types of materials, it's like I jumped into the sea without any life buoy. No one guided me!!

Like what type of rocks would be good?
Or foundation?
Should I drill?




I wanted to be as detailed as possible. Haha what a joke. I looked through the materials list, the first time I got a base construction list I asked my friend Beverly (a quantity surveyor) who so kindly helped me to compare with the "market price".

For the few things that "didn't seem to match the market price" I asked the uncle to source back. 10 cents difference? Change supplier. It went back and forth with him, with my day job and sides and little did I realized it had taken a week of me - to. just. to. look. at. prices.


When you're spending like water 

I started the project with some savings + an x amount from dad's sold home share. I think at that time I had about RM 100k in hand. Minus the clearing and miscellaneous (dangerous thing??) I was eventually left with about RM 80k to purchase materials and build. 

Which in, in house construction language = a joke.

So I had to what I had to do. I asked for more help from mum and Jessy. They each gave me approximately 1/3 of their sold home portion with a promise that I generate some money or investment to return it back to them. I worked up some suggestions and they gave me a bit.

I am extremely thankful to mum's unconditional support, she let go some of her stuff at home (sofa at home is hers and many things). And bought many things for me to make the home feel like home 💕

Throughout the process I had very little peaceful sleeps. In fact, all my sleeps were SUPER stressed. I withdraw money from the bank every other day, and it really felt like it was never enough. One list of item would spurr up to RM 20,000. And I keep wondering, will this be enough?

So at this point:
  • Forest and land clearing: RM 20,000
  • Materials (base, bricks, roof etc): RM 70,000 
  • Labor and manpower: RM 50,000 
The budget was already up to my neck. It wasn't a smooth sailing process. Every time the uncle wanted advance payment I had to scrutinize every. single.thing he requested. I argued with him many times for unnecessary orders. Extra glue?? 100 nails?? COME ON.

5 workers? I thought there were only 3?? 

Truth is, I really didn't know. I wasn't standing there throughout the day to identify whether all these things were the things he really required or not. I don't even know how many workers there were. 

So in good faith, I released payment when requested but when I felt should.
The uncle must have hated me for being so frugal in my decisions.


Timeline and fitting

"Miscellaneous" is a dangerous word and it truly comes in a form of anything. I had to catch up with the timeline of the construction. In the midst of building the toilets I had to find time to purchase basin, toilets, shower, etc. I work Mondays - Saturdays, and shops close on Sundays. Many times during that I wasn't even in Kota Kinabalu.

SO. I rushed to and after work many days and occupy my Saturdays with house materials shopping, all. the. time. For example, during the fitting of the kitchen, I had to find time to find for sink, stove.

Decision wise, I was doing this all by myself 👋 But the coordination of purchasing of paint, house furniture coming in, and many things were shared done by me and my amazing crew of mum, brother and Jessy

The fitting of everything to the timeline really had to go like gloves. When it was time to paint, I had to go out and look for paint every single lunch time. /Tired



Final leg and MORE MONEY

It's not over yet.

On the 6th month, the four walls and roof finally shaped up. Paint came into the picture, electricity was installed and water too.

BUT. It was empty. Hollow. I could cook eggs, but I wouldn't have a dining table to eat eggs on. I had no more money for furnishing.

I was running only hundreds in my account. So I attempted ...



KWSP / EPF first account to build your first house 

I went to KWSP and filled up all the necessary forms to request for money to build my "first house". This was an entire episode itself, with me having to find the entire Kepayan's village "Ketua Kampung" to basically acknowledge my house construction and verify it.

(I have so many issues with this process I can't even)

As it turns out, both the head of village or ketua kampung were seriously ill, almost bed ridden that they were unable to meet me let alone verify my house construction.

On top of that, I had to take photos with one of them in front of the house!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm just gonna sleep on the floor I thought.

Almost giving up, KWSP finally gave me the alternative to work with the JKKK (Jawatankuasa Keselematan dan Kemajuan Ketua Kampung). I met with the man in charge of our village (this only applies if you're building a home on your own land) and THANK HEAVENS he was so helpful.

Old and already difficult to walk, I brought him to the house and explained about how now I've got no money to buy any furniture and he understood my plight; signed it and took a photo with me to verify the construction.

phew.

Right after that, I rushed to KWSP and submitted my form.

2 weeks later it was APPROVED!!!!!

I mean it wasn't much, but it was okay for me to start purchasing basic furniture like, beds, chairs and other materials.


More cleaning and more family came and help 

I am so indebted to my close family who have offered to help clean the house every single day it was finally up and running. I wanted to cry, this time in a good way seeing everyone giving me a hand.

I organised a small get together around the 6 houses near the house to tell them my plans. That I don't have a gate and a grille at the moment, and that I needed them to help me be part of my eyes and ears for my protection as well. That the latter would cost approximately another RM 10,000.

And that I also might turn this home to an airbnb to generate money to continuously pay Mum and Jessy.




So there you go 

It took a village and an entire community to help me build a small home. If I had the opportunity and money really, I would have hosted everyone a delicious meal but -- let's save that for another day.

Also, remember the word budget? Well it doesn't apply when it comes to house construction. It will always be over budget. Always. In my case, it went from RM 130k to approximately RM 150 - RM 170k. 

Now that I almost zeroed on my savings, owing a little bit to mum and Jessy with a chunk took out from KWSP.

Was it worth it you asked? 

My sanctuary, my peace and my blood and tears.
Oh so yes every bloody penny of it was worth it.





Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Anonymous said…
so proud of you jackqie <3

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.