Skip to main content

Labuan '12

Last I went to Labuan was 14 years ago. Or so I think, could be longer. To think I stay just about 3 hours ferry ride from Labuan, and have not been there in ages is hilarious and because of it being so long ago, I actually didn't remember much about Labuan :( 

So last week, Michelle, Ingrid, Yen Ling and I decided on an impromptu trip. Just cause. 

Labuan is a very small island. It is a federal territory in/ of East Malaysia. An island off the coast of the state of Sabah. So much of the language and culture here in Labuan intermarried with Sabahan's culture, like their conversational language. Labuan's main economic source is it being an offshore financial centre, both domestic and international. Labuan IBFC is reknown for being an offshore support hub for deepwater oil and gas activities in the region. Apparently, it is a tourist destination for people going or transit to go to Sabah and /or  Brunei. Labuan derived from the Malay word 'labuhan' which means anchorage. 

You know, I might sound super smart from all these information, but they're actually from Wikipedia. Hehe. So here's where you can read more about the little quaint island that is Labuan. 

I was told that Labuan has tons of kuai los. Due to the international shipping companies. So most of the engineers, usually big bosses are the Westerners. Besides the kuai los of course, from my personal observation, Malay and Chinese make up the most of Labuan's main demographic. In fact, I think I see a lot more Indians there in Labuan as compared to KK as well. So the downside was we were only there for... ONE NIGHT. 

We had a beautiful seafood dinner by the beach, for five of us for only RM 108. We had tons of salted egg crabs oh my God, it's delicious! We were lucky that dinner was on our Labuan friend Terry :)



Here's why everyone likes about Labuan, it's duty free. One can take out only a bottle of liquor or a litre of everything mixed combine. Everything else that is more will be taxed. Chocolates, perfumes and everything else? They are a LOT CHEAPER. I bought my mum some imported cookies and my brother some ice wine. 

One of my happiest buy is this pack of 6 Shots for only RM 30, so that's RM 5 a shot! Other drinks and liquors go as cheap as RM 30 per bottle. These shots will be saved for special occasions, e.g my birthday or something like that. Something for myself. 

B52

We stayed at Labuan Inn. It kinda looked dodgy but it was very, very near to the club we headed and good restaurants. So location was alright, room was well no complaints. As for the rate, we paid RM 138nett, for a Queen Size and a Single Bed (Family Room), fitting for four of us girls, inclusive of hairdryer, TV and a really good shower system. Hehe. Spacious enough too. 

It was literally a 30 seconds walk to the club, hangout spot that we went. I quite like the place. It felt very, erm, united. There were people from all kinds of races and backgrounds, and everyone there seemed to be very nice to each other. It was kinda cool. 

Yen Ling, Ingrid and Michelle. 

Other things to do: 

Labuan is apparently famous for Wreck Diving. So instead of fishes and a lot of colourful sea creatures to look at, you guys can opt to see something different :) 

Beach and seafood. Because the whole of Labuan is like a step away from the beach, so it's very famous for some sun and fun. So if you're thinking of relaxing, maybe you can just hang out by the esplanade, pier or some beach. 

Personally I think Labuan is still underdeveloped. The potential needs to be maxed out, especially since they're a lot of schools, international unis and local matriculations, something to pull other students from other West Malaysia states and other countries for that matter. Especially those who'd like to try living in East Malaysia for a bit. 

Left Labuan the next day at 1PM. A little bit hungover but it's all good. That's all. A little simple, but a good weekend together with my bestfriends :) 


Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.