Skip to main content

Weekend in Singapore


Earlier this year, I visited Singapore before shit hits the fan with all these health concerns. Why Singapore? Well, it was a silly story about me getting a stay voucher from a friend which was a puny of the retail price. Not knowing that there was a three months expiry date to it FML. (not looking at fine prints sounds very me yes)

I got the voucher in December, and was scratching my head on when to go. I figured, January was the only time I could because February on-wards will be all kinds of busy. Luckily, and fortunately I went! Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to utilize it at all..



Singapore Marriott Tang Plaza 

I initially wanted to stay at Sheraton Orchard Towers because I've heard of so many raving reviews about its location, and high tea (??). Of course, I mistakenly also thought that that was the property I had booked for. So when my friend told me it was the Tang Plaza, I was like heh?

But omg, you know what they say. Pleasant surprise is the best kind of surprise! True enough, I absolutely loved Marriott Tang Plaza! Little did I know it is located right at the juncture of some of the most famous streets in Singapore e.g partly the Orchard Road.

I'm a little bit obsessed with the hotel's entrance smell. Or hotel smell in general! Was it cinnamon? Was it olive (Italy smelled like Olive to me)? Same with the Hotel Jazz we stayed in Melbourne. This smell association thing is growing on me. Every time I come back, I feel like I know this place, and instantly feels secured. It bloody works.

Can't say much about the hotel, it's a crisp legit 5 star with buffet breakfast, worth, dying, for.


I had plans to stay in the whole weekend because why wouldn't I. The bed sheets are soft, fluffy and the view of the concrete jungle + city lights is quite refreshing from where I come from. And since I was alone, a King bed on my own was the cherry on top of the holiday.

I swam. I ate. I slept.


There were cartoon TV channels too of course 😬

The last time I visited Singapore was in 2013, and I visited Audrey with my then partner. Now that I'm older, with a little bit more money (and solo halo!!) I wanted to do things I like, and also touristy stuff.

So I decided on:

Bar hopping

YES! I like a more lifestyle itinerary when visiting ANY place, and this is the number one thing I love to do; discovery bar hopping 😆 Cocktails is something I have developed much love recently. Ambiance, service + recipe. We went to three restaurants. All distinct and unique in its own ways.

#1 Smoke & Mirrors 
YY brought me here because of the view. It overlooked the Marina Bay Sands and a large garden/park. It had a panoramic view, and it was my first time trying a charcoal cocktail. Loved it.

As apperitives, this was quite a good choice. You see the evening roll down, lights start to beam, and different crowd started changing. From clinking of glasses to teetering of forks and knives.




#2 Scaled by Ah Hua Kelong
Haji Lane is full of character, and many would go there for the ambiance. There's a lively crowd, live music, and generally, good vibes all around. The walls are painted with graffitis, so its colourful to walk around Haji Lane even at night.



We had some food here, ok, we had a lot of food here (thanks to YY). She ordered so much, that by the end of the night we were completely stuffed. I can't remember whether they were finger food, or main courses, BUT THEY WERE ALL SO GOOOOOD.

All photos from this restaurant are from YY (Yuen Yee) as I conveniently charged my phone during this time.


Everything was legit! We had them off from what seemed like a couch/ lounge setting which was surprisingly quite comfortable. Except the fact that we were literally next to the toilet's door so there was always a queue as our view.

All good though, the service and the food compensated the next to toilet thing, and I was to the moon with this choice.

Cocktails, creativity and taste wise topped the list as well.



#3 Nutmeg
This was near Chinatown and it was on the first floor of what seemed like a sporadic bars area. Like, one lane has a few and then the other has a few spots, and then there's just like a residential area. Was it bars in a residential area, or residential area in bars? Can't tell.

Anyway, this particular bar was a bit dark. Speakeasy? And had bizarre cocktails like, "Nasi Lemak Flavour" Lol dead serious. After three rounds, and an absolutely heavy "finger food" session, I couldn't stomach a Nasi Lemak cocktail anymore. So, I opt for Singapore's classic - the Singapore Sling. Light, and easy. Like my head after all the drinks.

Thank you YY for bringing me around these unique bars. It was so much fun.



#2 Gardens by the Bay 

I've never been here. So I figured, I might as well in this trip. This seem to be the most instagrammed place last year. I got my tickets from Klook, quite cheap and convenient. I dedicated almost a day for this on a Sunday so I could take my own sweet time. And also because I was leaving home the next day mid day.

I went to only two areas, the cooled conservatories and the flower dome. It was huge, I've never seen any greenhouse as big as that and every selfie angle was just weird. You couldn't possibly take all of you, face + architecture wise.



I took about 2.5 hours walking around the area, and even went to the highest floor of the waterfall. The pleasure of traveling on your own, is time is at your pace.



#3 Science Museum 


I can't remember if I initiated to go to museum or it was YY, but we somehow end up here lol. This is quite a famous museum, that lotus looking building near Marina Bay Sands. Yeah, that's the one. I don't think I visited here last time, so it was quite fun.

Some exhibitions were quite serious in nature, and then there was that Disney educational exhibition. I think if galleries and modern exhibitions are your thing, you should definitely pay this a visit.




#4 Chinatown



After Gardens by the Bay, I tried to look for food and was uncertain which food court or hawker area would still be open by 9pm. I know Singapore doesn't sleep that early, but I just couldn't be sure where to go. So I asked the Grab guy to drop me near the Chinatown area and started walking everywhere.



Turns out, he dropped me at the exact same place where we had drinks. I walked into this very busy Chinatown market, which was quite a pleasant surprise. I really wanted to buy and eat durian, but I'm staying in a 5 star hotel so that is definitely out of the question.

#5 Shopping 

I don't actually like shopping but for this purpose, if you love big brands and shopping in general, Singapore has just about everything. One afternoon while YY and I were walking around Takashimaya? we saw a bunch of body guards walked out from Chopard (the super premium luxury watch brand) followed by the King of Johor. Lol.

So yes, they have all sorts of brands and products here in Singapore.

And me, well, I just know to walk around these streets and selfie with giant shop names, cause damn everything looks big here.




***

I think I manage to do many things I like in Singapore over a weekend 😊 Thank you YY, she hates it when we're being cliche, but really for showing me around and especially bar hopping. The buffet breakfast was out of this world.

I think the only way for me to consider Singapore again next time, if it's really over the weekend too. Being in the concrete jungle too long, gives me back pain. I constantly have to look up at tall buildings, lol, seriously.

Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to