Skip to main content

(unique) bar hopping @ Melbourne CBD


If you think I always have the time to visit Melbourne, you're right. I do. Many of my friends are now living there, with De staying and marrying a local Melbournian. Do I love Melbourne?

Actually, I bloody do. 

I wrote about being infatuated with the brunches culture in Melbourne. Many of the local cafes here not only open really late, but have very limited menu. So Australia, or Melbourne is a compensation to this lifestyle I love.

Another thing? Laneway bars. I love laneway bars. I really don't mind going to these bars myself if I have to, because, I enjoy the luxury of trying new cocktails at my own pace.

This time I decided to share some of the bars that I visited during my recent visit. Some pictures are either mine, or from their Instagram 😊

#1 La La Land Bar
  • https://www.instagram.com/LaLaLandCBD/ 
  • Level 1/125 Hardware  St 

The only reason I found and chose this bar was because, I wanted to try a cool one nearest to where we stayed. Naturally I just Googled, and this came as one of the top. Like all laneway bars, you need a bit of courage to go through the lanes at night. Sometimes, you see one or two snapsters dodgily waiting at the entrance. This was one of them. But the exit had a cool graffiti, which I thought ok - relevant and timely.


 Ambiance wise, I like it. It has these big bulky brown leather sofas and lounges, that you instantly feel legit when sat on to. Something I don't think I've ever seen in a bar (at least in a while). I think it's perfect for a first date, an afterwork gathering and just casual catch up with friends. I remember seeing anime playing on TV the most.



I bought their buy one free one cocktail drinks, because, why wouldn't I. This cost me AUD 15 each. Woot woot, and woozes me just enough for a good sleep.



#2 Storyville Bar 
  • https://www.instagram.com/storyvillemelbourne/
  • https://storyvillemelbourne.com.au
  • 185 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne Entrance via Waratah Place
After meeting up with Jeffrey + Nabila, I wanted to check out other cool bars around CBD. J suggested Storyville, which at first glance looked like it was a set from Harry Potter. True enough, the entire venue was designed inspired by whimsical fairy tales.

Giant mushrooms, giant flowers as lights. I wasn't sure at first what with my night blind and all, but after walking around the bar (was relatively early), I thought, okay this actually looks super cool!

^Photo credit to Eat Drink Play

I didn't had the time to take photos of the bar and ambiance generally, because I was so occupied with conversations, the vibrancy of the place and ultimately my lit drink. Literally. So some photos I borrowed and credited.

I didn't even realise, until a lady came up to me and asked what drink I ordered saying my drink is cool because "the ice cubes have changing lights!" - I was like, oh ya shit 😲

My drink was Dr Jekyll's Elixir (if know this classic, it's the potion that Dr Jekyll would drink to turn himself into the estranged Mr Hyde). So I'm like - YES.

It is a mix of Grey Goose Vodka, Cointreau, Butterfly Pea Flower, apparently used to change the colors of my drinks. I feel like in my instagram, I didn't do enough justice of how cool this actually is. A colour changing drink with ices that lit up, is not an every day thing.

My drink cost me AUD 22. It's actually okay! (Stop converting Malaysians)




#3 Union Electric Bar and Rooftop Gin Garden 
  • https://www.instagram.com/unionelectricbar/ 
  • 13 Heffernan Ln, Melbourne 
So two things, I either completely forgot taking pictures of the next bars or they are too dark for me to take any photos to begin with. Again, my night blind and all. 

^Photo credit to Cebu Pacific Inflight Magazine

We ordered normal gin + lime and it cost me only AUD 10 each.

The next one, was more of an open area bar kinda thing. Looking at the name of bar, I think we were at the Gin Rooftop Garden. I vaguely remember this place, because by the time we arrived, it was already around 9+ and I think the afterwork crowd (on a Friday night) was already filling up the bar to the brim. All I remember was manoeuvring through a crowd at the stairs. Yeah, they were crowd at the stairs.

We went to the first floor and stood fairly near to the bar, but the music was too loud I remember screaming (maybe it's where we stand). Generally, I think if we were there earlier got ourselves a good corner and away from the blaring music I think it would be a perfect experience.

After all, the night weather was perfect. It was a nice chill, and the chattering of the crowd lit up the entire thing.

Come to think about it, I don't think I even remember how the layout of the bar actually looks like. Was it in a laneway? Did it have a courtyard? I think so. Or was it just at the back of a shop? 😳

It had a courtyard. Now I remember.

#3 The LUWOW 
  • https://www.instagram.com/theluwow/
  • 212 Little Collins St, Melbourne
Easily one of my favourite. I mean, look at it.

It's so much fun!! 😍

^Photo credit to TheLuWOW 

By the time we arrived The LuWOW we figured, it might be too late (who am I kidding). When we arrived while the front part of the bar was brimming with people hanging on to the bar stand, only a few in the private pods behind.

Which was, kind of nice actually. It's an excellent place to hang out, and just chat and relax generally. When the menu came I knew 99% of the drinks would be rum based (OH YES) so I ordered the classic. Some of the menu include Spongebob Squarepants 😂

Drinks range from AUD 10 - AUD 40+, so I think generally it is also okay.

Definitely coming here again 😚

^Photo credit to Jake Roden (Broadsheet)

#5 Holey Moley Golf Club
  • https://www.instagram.com/holeymoleygolf/
  • 590, Little Bourke St, Melbourne 
This was, an activity bar. Luckily, I was 150% sobered up when we arrived here so no one was injured while we played the mini golf. The idea was to drink + golf throughout the night.

Obviously I am shit at it, even when sober, but really it was so much fun! I've never done an activity bar before, so this was quite cool.

I think this is great also for a bunch of friends.

^Photo credit to Concrete Playground

#6 House of Maximon Comedy Club (Free comedy shows every Wednesday night)

  • https://www.instagram.com/houseofmaximon/ 
  • 16 Corss Ln, Melbourne 

The only reason why I knew about House of Maximon was because I was Googling about free comedy shows that's available at Melbourne CBD. I know, free. I'm terrible. But hear me out.

There's something legit about seeing comedians performing without inhibitions at the comfort of a laneway bar that really appeals to me. I feel there's more honesty, and vulnerability. After all, many of the comedians we know, start at the bars. The comedy session is called Crab Lab Comedy.

When we were there, it was SO PACKED. I squeezed my way right to the back among the tall Australians and found a small peep to enjoy it. I enjoyed it so much, not knowing I was actually standing among the comedians themselves 😳

That explains the bit of space. I thought.

Eventually, you get to give tips before exiting and you don't have to if you don't want. Who cares. I enjoyed the show that night I visited so I gave some tip. I laughed so much, my jaw really hurt. Yes, there were inside jokes for Australia or Australians, and some slang are so difficult to understand but generally I got them, and really had a blast.

Really recommend this bar for the comedy show. Now if only I am six feet tall.
And look, I didn't even know the bar looked this good! (and this big?)

^Photo credit to House of Maximon

So happy that I get to explore these bars, albeit that I didn't take a lot of the photos. But I remember their layout, how cool and how they eventually make me feel (that's most important right?). Generally, I recommend all of them because they each have their own unique features. Fitting to your preference and mood of the day/night.

Activity bar, comedy club, open space/fairy tale. The diversity is there. Enjoy your bar hopping, and let me know what else you've visited! 😌

Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to