Skip to main content

Birthday in Seoul


Every year, mum and I travel together during our birthday week (first week of October). Since I travel a lot on my own or with friends, this was something we have come to with in agreement. Often it is somewhere either one of us have never been to, or better if we both never. We have already moved Hong Kong to Tokyo (due to protests) earlier in the year, which not only rushed the entire trip, but added so much of extra costs.

So last year, we went somewhere we both have been to except for Jessy.

Seoul💕

I was EXTREMELY busy the entire year, and shifting the trip from Hong Kong to Japan left a bitter taste in me in April, so I made the two coordinate with each other and prepared the itinerary. When you leave the two to do the itinerary....

Let's just say there were lots of praying and churches involved 😐

The last time I visited Seoul was in 2011, when Sway went for her first Rain concert while I hung out with a bunch of new friends we met at the hostel. It was absolutely random, but it was so much fun. We went to a free football match (lol), ate the legendary herbed ginseng chicken (Samgyetang) and visited the old town.

This time, it's mainly eat + shop, and all things leisure. Like an old fart like me would do and appreciate. I don't usually shop so.... for those who don't already know me.

When we arrived, it was already noon and the weather was drizzling and slightly cold. But it was my birthday! So, unrelentingly I told the two that I want to eat somewhere, at least warm and decent with Sojuuuuu 😍

Stay + eat at Myeongdong 

My birthday cake and ice cream since no one remembered to get me a cake.
Even myself lol.


We stayed at Myeongdong, about 5 to 7 minutes walk to the main strip and just behind the Ibis Hotel. Besides the Namsan Hanok Village, we barely do any touristy stuff. We literally, ate, shop, drink and repeat around the area, and it was a bliss.

We were trying to find Insadong one day, but got lost in between the small towns. We ended up buying some stuff from the small stores lol.

Always good to help small businesses though.


^This was what seemed like a 60+ year old uncle running a cafe on his own, becoming his own barista (!!) and service attendants. I figured, this is cool. I should take a shot of it.

When we finally arrived at Insadong, we walked into a giant protest. After manoeuvring the giant protest and basically souvenir shopping our way through (lol it seemed like a very peaceful one), we finally got ourselves some food.


Of course, SUKIYAKI!!


By the time we arrived our place, it was already 9pm+ but I was eager to go out and check out some of the things that people do around the area. And it was a Friday night, while I was too tired to check out the pubs etc, I figured surely there are some lifestyle things people do after work?

I must warn you, my trip persona (at this age) is a mixture of rest and lifestyle discoveries. And when I say that, I mean discovering what do young adults do after work outside? Is it sports? Drinks, eat? Beach?

And in Korea, one of it was beers + fried chicken (chimaek).
And OMG who doesn't love this combination??

After cleaning up, I asked Jessy if she wanted to join me, and surely she did. She's not a very outgoing person, so sometimes, it's an uphill to keep up with me (which is why sometimes, I do things on my own......) I only do most of these things because I want to write about them, and turn them into itineraries that people can use.

So, Chimaek it is.


After a good Chimaek session at a small restaurant about a stone throw away from our place, the next day, was the Grand Place visit. I've done this last time, so it was mostly for Jessy.


Next day, we finally went to Namsan Hanok Village which was only about less than 10 minutes walk from where we were.

If you see these groups in orange shirts trying to approach you, do not be afraid. They're university students who are offering FREE Namsan Village Tour in English, so yes, take it!

We did, and had fun because our guide was young, vibrant and of course makes all the relevant jokes to us. Lol.

Like, do you know the biggest house in this village was owned by a concubine? Yes, it was bought by the king for her, but you see - every woman has their story. Previously, or maybe still even, the royalties' marriages were always already arranged for them. Maybe, he never loved the queen. The way I see it, this concubine was the King's truest love. 


At night, I went to Hongdae on my own to check out the nightlife as I always would. But fk! Because I was trying to catch the last train/ last bus, I could barely enjoy a drink.


The next day the madam forced wake me up to go to services. Of course. Like I said, there were lots of praying and churches involved with these two.

But I love them, and when you love the people around you, you try to do what makes them happy too.


I loved my visit to Seoul. I mean, I always love visiting all these places. The food was good, people are excellent, and they always try to help.

My first visit back in 2011, had two older men running towards me to help me because obviously I looked lost and confused. This time, as life is more modern, you see people are more articulate in English and also tries to help you just as much.

Visit Seoul. It's as good as what people make it to be!

Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to