Skip to main content

Brunches in Melbourne

I know it says "brunches", but we were for the most part, struggled to be up and about by brunch 🙈 and even if we did, we either, nearly miss the brunch or that shop was awesome enough to have an all day breakfast for us late starters 😋

Sway was determined to try all the places that she saw on blogs etc, so we left most of the decision to her. It's quite funny though, sway has always been the healthiest among us, she'd be eating all these greens salads, and we'd be calling her sheep herbivore stuff like that.

Still is really.  

But this trip! Boy did she deliver. She ate like a baby shark!!! She ate everything and ANYTHING, in huge portions, finished it up AND THEN SOME!!

I remember while we were on the tram to Coles towards the end of our trip, she asked me whether I wanted Golden Gaytime (clarification: a very famous and delicious ice cream). After I had just finished 3 Japanese' meals.

I side-eyed her,

Um babe, I'm losing my voice, I had eaten a lot of things, I can actually feel I'm now dying. 
She looked at me, adorably and asked, "so - do you want one?" 
😒


Billy's Courtyard 

After our bridal boot camp, we went for (a much deserved) breakfast/ brunch. I asked Denise if we could get some Eggs Benedict.

For those who know me, I am quite particular with my Eggs Benedict 😅😅😅 I could do poached eggs, and I have attempted to do Hollandaise Sauce (failed tho lol) so I know this dish by passion lol.

I've eaten eggs benedict around the world, and Melbourne has one of the best by far. Billy's Courtyard's was alright, it ticked the boxes of having runny yolk when cut, delicious Hollandaise Sauce on top of a toasted bread with 2 pieces of Asparagus. Some say, English Muffins. But those are not my concerns.

Runny eggs and the sauce are. And sometimes, it's the diner's mistake. Taking photos or leaving the eggs out too long lets it cooked inside by itself. So now I learn, to cut it up first, and then take photo!

Point of differences for me are the sides (after mastering the two mains). Some come with bacons, greens, while others come with grilled mushrooms and tomatoes. Which to me, ARE THE HIGHEST LEVEL.

Perfect eggs, deliciously made Hollandaise sauce with grilled tomatoes / mushrooms are BOMB.



Not sure the name of the place, but the salads

When I first arrived, and met Audz, we walked into a random coffeehouse because we were REAL hungry. All I remembered from it was their salad...... holy shit. You could choose from a myriad of salad, pumpkin (one we chose), zucchini, eggplant, topped with chickpeas, pistachios, sunflower seeds, walnut, it goes on.

I think it's their creativity in whipping these salads up that is making me still dreaming about them.




Grainstore.co 
517 Flinders Lane, Melbourne VIC 3000

This was one of our favourite because we were SUPER hungry when we arrived at this place. Unfortunately, we were too late for brunch and had to opt for lunch instead T_T

BUT THE LUNCH! 

We turn starry eyed trying to decide what to order. They were all so beautifully described in the menu, everything sounded amazinggg. Audz had the steak in the afternoon (because we can) with baby potatoes that were obviously not babies for Malaysians *choked, while I had this incredible seafood pasta, sway had something similar to a chicken roulade with watermelons and kerry had salmon sandwich.

That lunch, was DIVINE.
Like the bestfriends that we are, we shared with each other our dishes 😍



Manchester Press 
Ranskin Lane 

This place was located in Ranskin Street, one of the many alleys that I think depict Melbourne as it is. This stark contrast. These beautiful worn alleys have silver skyscrapers as their backdrop, leaving me wondering and loving how the two can be in harmony. Like the old and new of things. 

When sway said bagels, we were like OMG OKAYYYY. 



I forgot what everyone had, but when I saw avocado in the menu I was like DAS MINE! Mine was a plain open bagel with avocado and feta cheese. There were a few options of bagels to choose from; rye, sesame seed, poppy seed, blueberry and even gluten free.

I love how their sides are always the greens, because it kinda balances out the rest for me hehehehe. #guiltyconscience

Melbourne do brunches SO WELL, that these places are ALWAYS FULL! When I first arrived, they kept asking me whether we made reservations, and I'm like - do we need to? I now learn, that we should. We tried to go to a famous one during the weekend (commencing in a bit) and there was this massive queue??

Never have I ever had to queue for brunches in my life before.................. 

I usually don't take coffees for breakfast, especially like cappuccino or latte because they are very filling. But in Melbourne, and after all the late nights, I felt like I needed the extra push to start my day. Melbourne has excellent black coffees and drips, but I think that's TOO STRONG for me.

So I take lattes to go with.


^ Yums.



Grinders 
Lonsdale St 

Before we drove to the Dandenongs, we tried to stop by Hardware Societe, one of the more famous brunch/coffee place in Melbourne (possibly the most famous one?).

Unfortunately, we stumbled upon this massive weekend crowd with a queue of almost a block. We didn't have the time to wait since we were supposed to be arriving by 1pm and get ready for the wedding by 4pm.

So we walked across the street to Lonsdale.

This place we randomly chose called Grinders had free drinks to come with our brunch so THAT MADE ME HAPPY.

Lonsdale St in its entirety reminded me of Paris /Rome because of the small alleys, and the cafes around the small alleys 😍 There are plenty of cafes and small restaurants for you to choose from, western, Asian, pancakes, ice creams. We barely made it past the third shop, but from where we had our breakfast it looked like it could stretch to a mile or so.



I had wanted to try their big breakfast for the longest time, so that fine morning I finally did. I was so sure I could finish it by myself, I mean what's not to? Bacons, good? Mushrooms, good? Poached eggs, good, tomatoes? GOOOOOD.

And we had a long day to go.


Miss Marple's Tearoom 
382, Mount Dandenong Tourist Rd, Sassafras

Ladies and gentlemen, let me introduce to you the reason I lost my entire voice when I got back to Sabah (well, among many reasons). There were many firsts to this trip, this too, never have I ever had more desserts than main meals than I did in Miss Marple's BUT BOY.

WAS IT WORTH IT. 

We all had the pie separately, because, why not? You'd think we'd be defeated after that thick top layer of mash potatoes.......... but we were just beginning.

It started with Audz ordering the scones, and while we saw it on other people's tables we were like OH NO SO BIG. Gobble, gobble, gobble. And I was like AUDS we're supposed to eat our sticky dates pudding before we leave!! Gobble, gobble, gobble. 

And she was like, yeah, we should. Gobble, gobble, gobble. 

Then we ordered the sticky date pudding. 

The scones (not in photo) and the sticky date pudding came after we maneuvered each of our pies. We cut the scones to pieces, and retreated to our own corner of the table over the cream cheese and DELICIOUS raspberry jam. JEEZ, what are these we thought. THEY ARE GODSEND.

Then came the sticky date pudding, which looked SO DRAMATIC and righteous in its own way.

It came with a milk cream.
On top of it, I thought?

Sway did the due of pouring the milk cream on top of the sticky date pudding and warm caramel while the rest of us ogle and salivate. It looked like they were making love!

That milk was really making love to the warm caramel, like, I swear!


While we were still licking warm caramel from our lips, Kers called the attendant to book her Belgian Waffles. I was like 😲 Could we finish this??? 

Who am I kidding, we were all baby sharks that trip. 

AND YES WE COULD! (Not sure how to feel about this achievement) but by the time we were wiping the cream and waffles off the plate.... we were like, OK maybe, just maybe, we had too much. 

That guilt lasted for 5 minutes. 



It was a quaint place along the Tourist Road of Mt Dandenong, where many came to visit and dine. I mean, it's a tourist area, but the food at Miss Marple's were truly mind blowing, ESPECIALLY THE DESSERTS!

WELL ANYWAY. 

Here are the baby sharks, reaffirming our first love in this trip (besides each other), FOOOOOOOOOD.


Cin Cin (Updated February 2020)

This was our recent visit to Melbourne, and was one of the most memorable brunch/lunch in Melbourne. We visited the Graffiti Lane and walked its surroundings, and was so desperate for food that we walked right into this vibrant restaurant.

I wanted pancakes and coffee at first, but when we saw the menu I was like. Wow they look bomb. We randomly ordered what we deem fit (there was rice, so we had to) and went absolutely mental. The fusion of the western and asian made the dishes absolutely tasty, and I had to use this, but mouth watering! (this phrase is legit).

They, were simply tasty.



Hash Specialty Coffee @ Camberwell (Updated February 2020)

I visited Denise at Camberwell one Wednesday morning, and had an incredible eggs benedict. What made me remember this one the most, was the portobello mushroom. It was so juicy, so delicate into the cut I wanted to dream about that mushroom then and there. Except, I was eating it at that moment. It's ridiculous.

It's soy tea was also in such an adorable presentation, De were figuring out the way to pour it into the cup lol.



Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.