Skip to main content

The different simple people I've met somewhere

I miss writing terribly.

This morning, I randomly browsed through my favourite blogs (travel ones, rightfully) and figured I should pen down some beautiful moments tonight, because, I just feel like it. After much thinking, I've decided to describe to you the different simple people I've met in my life while seeing the world.

Something tells me, that people who speak the same language as me are obliged to be better enough or kind enough to me (because I'm their people), so those who do not know how to speak the same language, or look like me - and yet, extended their kindness, must truly be something else.

That kind man that saw my mum carrying her own bags and decided to drive us to our destination

Yes, we trusted that man.

I asked this middle aged Turkish man in his full brown suit and small glasses drooping from his nose white hair on the sides, but barely, after 10 minutes of tossing and searching our hostel, failing miserably getting lost in the intersections of intersections of the vibrant Sultanahmet. Thinking he'd probably lazily point to the direction where the hostel is, instead, he asked me whether I was with anyone, and then when I pointed my mum at the corner who's already fanning herself in the cold at this moment smiled at me and looked me in the eyes and said - "let me drive you and your mum. I know you can walk, but I must help your mum."

You either take that leap of faith and trust his simple kindness, or you just don't. I chose the former :)



That old man that ask/told me - "Why are you afraid of the sharks, they don't eat humans? The sharks are more afraid of you, we eat them."

Made me believe that fear, if entertained will stop us from doing. Anything.

I was in the island and the only thing that was going to stop me from swimming with the sharks were my own thoughts of the worst. Minus those dramatic thoughts, came out a happy girl who fulfilled one of her wildest dream.

I'm glad I believed in Pak Cik's simple advice.


That Ukranian family and Russian friends I hosted through Airbnb

The world is going through a rough patch between these two nations - while I know enough because I'm always on social media (nothing genius) - these two groups decided to jazz through in my life and completely made me understood that people, real simple people like you and I just genuinely want to live our life the happiest we could, go for a vacation and tell the world about it.

I am so glad I get to house them and listen to their stories as real people - a young Ukranian couple who are trying to be good parents and raise their beautiful son away from trouble and war and a group of Russian youngsters who told me "that money is not for things but for experiences because they make you smile at random times" right before he poured me some -- amen, we said separately in our different language.

And cheered to some quirky named booze he found in 7 Eleven.


That Burmese tour guide who I had the most trouble communicating with 

That 28 year old boy who stood as tall as I am, who said he "doesn't believe in tattoos as fashion statement" is a lot more special compared to any guides I've met before. The manager of the place I was staying in Yangon connected me with this boy who was studying English at that time.

He told me to "hire" him because it would be good for his English development. As usual, I took his advice. And wanted to meet this boy myself.

...

It took me 3 hours and a whole lot of places (and patience) to finally get the hang of conversing with him. I had so much trouble deciphering what he was trying to say initially, that I constantly ask him to repeat his words over and over again. At one point, I got REALLY frustrated. (Yes, I know how to get frustrated too). I knew he was also frustrated at our conversations judging by his sighs, and silent treatment.

I refused to give in (heck I paid him) - so I vigour the conversations even more, and slowly, but surely he crawled back with his replies at me at ease and started throwing in jokes (that's when you know people are getting more comfortable around you).

Towards the end of the day we were catching up like old friends. He even treated me dinner :) The day started as one of the toughest - but I'm glad I never gave up on him, and he to me.  He didn't have to have crisp perfect English, he could be a simple Burmese man who wants to improve himself, he gets my help.


The beautiful veteran singer at a private poetry slam in Jogja

I went into this jazzy local bar in Jogja one night. Everything was cool and perfect and relaxed, at one point I figured, "hmm, this is too jazzy for me." (And I love jazz).

So I left the bar (and a guy blue balled maybe since he was hovering around me), and found this beautiful small local open-mic I reckon, just 5 minutes away from my hostel, where a lot of older people were strumming and singing and dancing along. I decided to take a sneak peek when coincidentally this beautiful lady in a traditional jawa kurung peeped right back at me and invited me in.

I was too humbled to be invited into their little party (also a little scared of course), so I chose a corner seat and enjoyed every bit of their poetry slam from a distance. Lady kept telling me I'm pretty, I smiled thinking "I'm nowhere as pretty as her" but thanked her anyway and told her "she is too" (but seriously, she really was). She stood up and started picking on the mic and started singing. It was an awkward place to be in, but it reminded me of how simple people find happiness in simplest of activities / things.

I had no idea what time it was even though I had to wake up at 4am the next day, because that was probably one of the more chilled, nights I've ever enjoyed in a while.

***


My good friend Audrey told me about the guy who told her mum, that while people can take all his cars, houses, and gifts - no one could take the things that he's seen and the food he's tasted. What a beautiful principle in life, and even though I've got only 14 days of annual leave in a year, I made sure I learn different things from the most different of people.

These are the simplest people who've crossed my path yet have made some sort of significance - and I wouldn't trade them for anyone else. If I ever come back to where they are and have they forgotten who I was - it only reminds me even more that these people are real people, who occasionally forgets.

Real people and their simple lives.

Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.