Skip to main content

Hello again, Adelaide!


I've been missing Adelaide many times. Sometimes, unjustifiable. Because I can't remember what I'm actually missing. Is it the quiet suburbs, the empty church, the shops that close early.

I can't tell. Probably the suburbs and the fact that my public bus stops right where I live. Or the small gatherings my Malaysian friends and I would always have.

This time, I came back to Adelaide as a working young adult, not without its complications in hindsight (the beginning of Coronavirus) with just a little bit more money to spend on and possibly a better perspective in life. Lol, maybe.

I came a few hours earlier, YY came later from Melbourne. We stayed at the Mercure Grosvenor, great location and overlooked a courtyard with very friendly staffs. I had plans to meet Beth whom I haven't met and caught up in at least 13 years and Carmen about 11 years too.


Carmen stayed back in Australia after university, visited Melbourne for a while until she came back again to Adelaide and then lived and got married there.

Mercure Grosvenor 



Glenelg

I missed Glenelg so much. And coming back, felt bit estranged. Some parts I recognise, some parts I don't. There is a "beach club" now, for starts. Looks fancy as hell, I'm sure if I was still studying I wouldn't step on it.

But I'm not studying anymore 😊 And cocktails for lunch for a hard working mum, myself and YY seemed right.


Some green patches and areas remain the same. There's a giant ferris wheel, which generally do not appeal to me, unless I am with a decent person being stuck there with.

Then there're those giant landmarks where tons of photos of mine of Adelaide remained scattered on Facebook. A few of the shops YY and I use to know are also closed down already. The ones we celebrate birthdays at, the ones we have gelato at. Some looked new, more big brands now, and restaurants and bars.

During Spring Summer, Glenelg looked like a dreamy place for the family and the young. It felt like a slightly upgraded version of it ten years later, but still remains its old charms. I like it, I really think it's something I would consider coming again, just cause. It's simple luxury.



Rundle Streets

Some of the most memorable things about Adelaide was Rundle and everything there. The streets, the mall. When I first arrived Adelaide the other day, while completely ignoring getting my bearings right, little did I realise I walked right into Rundle (how can I not know) and found solace in a small but double storey book cafe. Many places looked like they came out straight from a magazine, but this one looked humble. I had plans to rest for a bit, not sleep, just take my mind off the long flights with a cup of coffee and this one seemed to be welcoming.

Rundle is kind of simple. But charming. Like the most iconic thing about Adelaide, are the two giant balls and these pigs lol. That's how our relaxed this place is.


What pleasantly surprised me was that all around Adelaide now have plenty of graffitis. Apparently, this is new. I am undecided of what I think about them. They don't necessarily fall into the category vandalism, but they are on private property's walls. And they're mostly gorgeously drawn.

Featuring Sia, Adelaide's pride and homegirl.



University of South Australia

I lived in Magill while studying in UniSA. That means, literally next to my campus. It's less than 5 minutes walk to campus, and especially to where I study.



We visited our old places in Uni, but it was a Sunday so there was no one. And I mean, NO ONE. We took the time and enjoyed some sort of picnic and day drinking (again, not sure if this was legal oh well) for about an hour or so, until we went back to Foodlands lol.


I often curse Foodlands back when I was still studying, because they always close so early. Like, 4pm early. This Malaysian is not used to it, and is often without food at the end of the day.

Now that I think about it, everything about it was a laugh.

Adelaide Fringe Festival 

Who knew! We were extremely lucky that Adelaide Fringe Festival was happening during our visit. It's a month long gigantic celebration of all sorts, where music, arts, food and comedy meet. I was told the history behind it was to promote districts in Australia during the winter/summer, and it eventually became a yearly thing for some of the states. It became so big, that many locals travel interstates to these festivals to catch the big shows and even the small ones.


I also didn't realise we were in Adelaide in one of its busiest week ever. There was that SuperLoop, a car racing within Adelaide's town as its circuit, then there was that women's football match, alas QUEEN was coming that same week were in town!

Wow, when did Adelaide became so cool?

I met Beth during the Fringe Festival, and there, were, so, many, people.



I was like, wow I never see Adelaide this packed and full of life. Where are they from?? Turns out, many of them are also from other cities like I mentioned earlier. But also, Adelaide is home to many universities.

I tried, walking into one of the comedy shows but they were either fully booked, or just untimely. But the weather was so beautiful. Catching up with Beth under the stars and YY, are great memories to keep with.

Lol, I hope the two feel the cliche same.


Wine Tour @ Barossa Valley

YY and I decided on only one day for doing all touristy stuff, including visiting the old Handorf Village which we often go when we're students, probably because we were simply just looking for things to do on a weekend.


It cost me AUD 140 for a whole day including a full lunch at one of the winery, a visit to Barossa Valley and Handorf. I loved this tour. It was simple, filling and generally easy.


We visited three wineries, Jacob's Creek (the most famous), the Saltram and The Cottage the restaurant we eventually had lunch in. Our lamb shanks WERE SO GOOD. I am so happy I ordered that!



I made a video about it and posted on Instagram. Check it out:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B88_943g3po/ 

or just follow me 😊 @jacqkierowena (I've got nothing to hide)


Handorf German Village

I thought about if I wanted that wheat German beer so much, but then I realised my metabolism is in the shits at this age so I was like, okay buying home trinkets instead.


Handorf is an adorable place, no wonder we liked it so much last time. There's good food, small restaurants for waffles or gelato and then there are bigger restaurants for the beers, giant sausages and sauerkraut. And ah, lots of galleries! (my thing)


But my favourite of them all are the trinket shops that sell unique items like, handmade trinkets, drawings and even soaps (YY's favourite). They're so cute. I even see tarot card readings. It's quite a mix of unique small business in this old German village. We spent a fair bit of time on our last stop at the trinkets shop, and eventually got ourselves gelato.

***

Adelaide, was lovely. It was charming, just I remember it to be. Maybe even more exciting, I really recommend Adelaide to everyone. Maybe a couple of days at least. It was full of old memories now being replaced with new ones. Now that I have some old friends here, I will consider visiting it again when the world permits.

Until then, take care and see you again Adelaide! 💞

Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Hola!

I have a question. What are the chokeberry health benefits?

Thank you!
Anthony

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.