Sometime in May, mum, Jessy and I decided to do Prague, Budapest and Vienna. Yes, Europe. We actually did Europe this year.
The only reason you haven't seen much of it on my timeline was because before, during and after the trip were one of the busiest times of my life. I felt I could barely catch my breath, let alone organize my thoughts and write ups about it. I am quite particular with words. I wanted to express things honestly. Not slabbing a photo on and just put a hashtag.
I must say, this was one of the most packed itinerary I've had in a long time, not because of the actual activities - but because of the traveling time between Budapest to Vienna and then to Prague turn out to be quite taxing too.
Budapest Walking Tour @ Withlocals
I was keen to do a walking tour in Budapest and wasn't sure which of these agents or anyone or companies to choose from. I was quite sure that we weren't able to cover everything Budapest (also partially we are more of a foodie than architecture - history yes we love, architecture comes second). We also wanted to consider that we wanted to be guided by local Hungarians or from Budapest.
Turns out, this online company offers just that!
I wasn't sure whether their "Withlocals" tagline was legit, but after talking to Nicholas, the host I selected (mainly because he is young, vibrant and seemed gentle mannered) - I was affirmed that he is indeed just a young Hungarian local that have lived in Budapest his whole life. So I proceeded, plus it was really cheap! About USD 10 per person.
He was so helpful before the meetup, I was so happy with my selection.
He answered alllll my questions, including those that were not related to the tour.
We were early before Nicholas, so we decided to walk around the area and take photos 😛
I think it was spring and there were SOOOOOO many flowers around, I was busy snapping every little thing I see. And the smell!
When we finally met, Nicholas brought us these famous Hungarian cheese chocolates that Jessy loved so much unfortunately couldn't find in any of the local stores 😪
The tour was a combination of walking and taking buses. We walked for the most part, which made me wonder whether my decision to make mum walk was a right one. She enjoyed some walk, but in some cases.........
I mean, look at the stairs.
Fisherman's Village / Fisherman Bastion
We started from the Fisherman's Village where it tells the story of fishermen coming to the forefront of defense when the city was under attack. The village was then named after the heroic fishermen.


From the Fisherman's Village, we walked down to the Chaine Bridge. Probably one of the most famous bridge in Budapest.
I'm sure you have heard the story about the architect or the creator of this bridge having said that this will be the most perfect bridge in the world.
Only to have a 10 year old boy, telling him that the lions on the bridge do not have tongue.
AHHH THE HORROR HE SAID.
And he dramatically killed himself by jumping off the bridge.
Just kidding! Actually no I wasn't joking but this was just a myth or legend.
Whether it was real.
That we will never know.

I must say the next stop was one of the most iconic historical site I've ever visited. It was the Danube River Memorial. This was when thousands of Jews (Hungarians) were murdered during the Nazi period. They were asked to remove their shoes and was then shot straight by the army. Their bodies falling into the river.
Women, children.
Nicholas: This was not a pleasant memory for most of us.
No sht Nichola, this was tragic.
^Look at mum going - ohhhhhh these people were sick in the head.
We ended the tour at the Parliament Building. Which WAS SO BLOODY HUGE why do goverments need such a huge ass building?!?! For meetings and stuff??
Nicholas shared with us the story of the guardhouse, when his dad brought him to see the guards making circles for about an hour. Confused, Nic asked. Why are we here?
Dad answered, if you fail in your studies miserably, you would need to be this officer and round the circles for 8 hours for the rest of your life.
/gulped.
Nicholas is now in his last semester in Accounting and Finance. Lol. I wish him the best!! It's a hilarious way of scaring your kids, although I think working as a guard officer is equally noble and may even require more qualification!
He dropped us off at the Central Market. Where we continued eating, shopping and buying random fresh food stuff that I cooked up a storm at home with. Thank you so much Nicholas, am so glad to have helped you earn some sides while you study!
Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.
The only reason you haven't seen much of it on my timeline was because before, during and after the trip were one of the busiest times of my life. I felt I could barely catch my breath, let alone organize my thoughts and write ups about it. I am quite particular with words. I wanted to express things honestly. Not slabbing a photo on and just put a hashtag.
I must say, this was one of the most packed itinerary I've had in a long time, not because of the actual activities - but because of the traveling time between Budapest to Vienna and then to Prague turn out to be quite taxing too.
Budapest Walking Tour @ Withlocals
I was keen to do a walking tour in Budapest and wasn't sure which of these agents or anyone or companies to choose from. I was quite sure that we weren't able to cover everything Budapest (also partially we are more of a foodie than architecture - history yes we love, architecture comes second). We also wanted to consider that we wanted to be guided by local Hungarians or from Budapest.
Turns out, this online company offers just that!
I wasn't sure whether their "Withlocals" tagline was legit, but after talking to Nicholas, the host I selected (mainly because he is young, vibrant and seemed gentle mannered) - I was affirmed that he is indeed just a young Hungarian local that have lived in Budapest his whole life. So I proceeded, plus it was really cheap! About USD 10 per person.
He was so helpful before the meetup, I was so happy with my selection.
He answered alllll my questions, including those that were not related to the tour.
We were early before Nicholas, so we decided to walk around the area and take photos 😛
I think it was spring and there were SOOOOOO many flowers around, I was busy snapping every little thing I see. And the smell!
When we finally met, Nicholas brought us these famous Hungarian cheese chocolates that Jessy loved so much unfortunately couldn't find in any of the local stores 😪
The tour was a combination of walking and taking buses. We walked for the most part, which made me wonder whether my decision to make mum walk was a right one. She enjoyed some walk, but in some cases.........
I mean, look at the stairs.
Fisherman's Village / Fisherman Bastion
We started from the Fisherman's Village where it tells the story of fishermen coming to the forefront of defense when the city was under attack. The village was then named after the heroic fishermen.
From the Fisherman's Village, we walked down to the Chaine Bridge. Probably one of the most famous bridge in Budapest.
I'm sure you have heard the story about the architect or the creator of this bridge having said that this will be the most perfect bridge in the world.
Only to have a 10 year old boy, telling him that the lions on the bridge do not have tongue.
AHHH THE HORROR HE SAID.
And he dramatically killed himself by jumping off the bridge.
Just kidding! Actually no I wasn't joking but this was just a myth or legend.
Whether it was real.
That we will never know.
I must say the next stop was one of the most iconic historical site I've ever visited. It was the Danube River Memorial. This was when thousands of Jews (Hungarians) were murdered during the Nazi period. They were asked to remove their shoes and was then shot straight by the army. Their bodies falling into the river.
Women, children.
Nicholas: This was not a pleasant memory for most of us.
No sht Nichola, this was tragic.
^Look at mum going - ohhhhhh these people were sick in the head.
We ended the tour at the Parliament Building. Which WAS SO BLOODY HUGE why do goverments need such a huge ass building?!?! For meetings and stuff??
Nicholas shared with us the story of the guardhouse, when his dad brought him to see the guards making circles for about an hour. Confused, Nic asked. Why are we here?
Dad answered, if you fail in your studies miserably, you would need to be this officer and round the circles for 8 hours for the rest of your life.
/gulped.
Nicholas is now in his last semester in Accounting and Finance. Lol. I wish him the best!! It's a hilarious way of scaring your kids, although I think working as a guard officer is equally noble and may even require more qualification!
He dropped us off at the Central Market. Where we continued eating, shopping and buying random fresh food stuff that I cooked up a storm at home with. Thank you so much Nicholas, am so glad to have helped you earn some sides while you study!
Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.
Comments