Skip to main content

Day trip at Marine Ecology Research Center (MERC)

It's always sunny in Kota Kinabalu 😊

I've always wanted to go to the Marine Ecology Research Center (MERC) at Gayana Island Resort, so when the company asks us if we wanted to go for a day trip..... I replied within seconds.

I absolutely love educational trips, totally my thing!

Upon arriving Gayana Island Resort, we were welcomed by friendly folks who took us for a short tour around the resort and spoke about their many and excellent conservation efforts. Some of the efforts include reducing plastic usages and replacing them with zero waste items like steel bottles instead of plastic.

Living in the islands are no easy feat, you have to truly be as sustainable as you can to avoid wastage. Many things are imported from the lands.



The tour included an educational videographic about the importance of the giant clams in the sea's ecosystem. Some of the main things, if not the most important, is the fact that giant clams are the sea's natural vacuum. They clean the sea through a photosynthesis and puts back out a cleaner environment. I tried reading further online, they are also food, shelter to some of the marine life and reef shapers.

After the video, we were brought to the live aquarium for our own hands on experiment. I am a bit estranged at the idea of involving animals, in any form, so I kept asking the guide.

Are you sure we can touch it??
Are you sure??

I was also very scared.. so.

The starfish especially gives me the creepers.


After the hands on experiment, we were invited to plant our own coral. This is to make sure, new corals are continuously planted to replace any corals that have been severely damaged due to over tourism, over fishing, and so on.



The lot of us successfully planted a bunch which looked so promising. Very happy to have planted the corals and took part in a sustainable program.



After a tiring morning of learning, and touching... we were invited for lunch at the Alu-Alu restaurant. Another remarkable restaurant that uses and farms its own produce, including their fishes and prawns.

I know it's weird to be eating seafood after the tour, but knowing they're farmed organically and sustainable makes it all around actually a great experience. And it was delicious! We were so full by the end of what seemed like a 10 course and dessert.

Anyway, if you ever have the chance to visit Marine Ecology Research Center (MERC), please do so! It's educational and so much fun.

Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.