Skip to main content

My Airbnbs in Budapest & Prague

Like bees to honeys, birds to water, lizards to my home, I am one to books. All kinds of books. Foreign, non-fiction, comedy, drama, womenhood, cartoon, history. I LOVE books. The uncertainty of its content. The smell. The covers. The stories.

It is no wonder that my recent trip to Budapest, Vienna and Prague sees us staying in apartments and homes that have books at every corner of them. While booking for homes, my preferred criteria are usually location and price. And last but not least, aesthetics.

I am guilty for choosing homes from pictures, and fortunately I have been quite lucky. Most if not all of the places I've booked look exactly like the photos. But sometimes they surprise you with bonus features, like new stack of books.

I love homes that pique my soul, open my eyes to design that don't abide rules, with delicate features. Best if they've got stories attached to it. My so and so and got this during the war. Or, we found this while hiking mountain x. Man, the drama it adds to it!

Below are the places we stayed, and if you liked them, please feel free to book them.

Budapest @ Gergely / Gabor near Astoria 💚💚💚💚
Book directly here @ https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/2910501
Sign up here and get instant credit @ https://www.airbnb.com/c/jrowena



Okay, I need to start with this. When we first arrived, mum wanted to curse at me for choosing an apartment with 2 stairs up. And it was one of those European stairs, small, limited sunlight and spiral. When mum first saw the stairs she was like, oh my God - I already hate this place.

My mind went on rewind mode, thinking back on all the description of the Airbnb whether Gergely had mentioned anywhere it was on the second floor, while maintaining my cool. Things you have to deal with while traveling with mum. Okay, I kind of remember there were stairs in the reviews.  

When the door of our home finally opened, out of breath, curses at the tip of our tongue we were finally stunned. The first thing I thought was, wow there are so many antiques?!!



High ceilings, lace curtains, books stacked everywhere, paintings, bells, wood furnishings. I rummage through my pocket to look for my phone, started snapping everything in the home. And I mean by eve-ry-thing. I touched everything I see, wanting to feel the texture of the beautiful chairs, runner, trinkets 😍

Door? Snap. Weird scarf that's hanging. Snap. Lace curtains!? Snap. Floor? Snap. Toilet with wallpaper, snap. Bell? Or some trinket? Snap. Can't. Stop. Snapping.

Makes sharing with you guys the best photos all the more hard!


I really felt the good energy and vibe surrounding the house. It was airy, abundant with natural sunlight. The living room had tons of paintings and artwork, I even took the opportunity to flip through a book (cause it was not in English) on how to make wreaths. 


The entire home was so pretty 😍 And I love that we were welcomed by books!! I could smell it from the door!! Mum finally kept quiet, I think she was in awe. Books got her librarian tongue.

Gabor took the time to explain to us the places we can go by foot. Apparently we are surrounded by churches.


After we took a selfie with Gabor, and say our goodbyes - we finally closed the door and settle in. And started to really taking in the home. These small European homes have a soft spot in my heart. I'm sure they will to yours too if you've lived in one.

They're always so... inspiring.




Prague @ Zuzana near Svatupklova 💚💚💚💚

Book directly here @ https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/8125238
Sign up here and get instant credit @ https://www.airbnb.com/c/jrowena


Prague to me was a little bit more expensive than Budapest. But between the three, Vienna was the most expensive. That I had to opt for a small 2 star hotel in the city center. It was within walking distance to a small art shop which we spent so much on 😉

To find Zuzana's place amidst the hundreds of listing in Prague was a pleasant surprise. Located within 5 minutes walk to the main tram station that goes straight to the old town (absolutely a big plus point).

And again, BOOKS. Zuzana's place was tastefully decorated, white furnishings with hints of pink and blue. I saw one of the most interesting book with illustration (not in English), and took a video and pictures of it. I was so fascinated by their books!!


This particular Airbnb had a loft, which Jess and I took the opportunity to try out. We slept on the loft while mum cozied on the sofa bed in the living room. Note to self; avoid lofts when drunk. I almost slipped and skidded through the stairs when climbing because I was pissed from the activity Jessy and I did 😅

Above all, I couldn't forget THIS VIEW. 

It was one of a kind for me. It's not something I see everyday, buildings stacked on top of each other. Orange, light blue. A contrast of old and new. With people looking out from their own homes.

I know it's a simple view of another apartment across our building, but against the spring-summer blue sky over a cold breeze through the lace curtain... it was magical for me.

So I made myself some teas and sipped through looking at these incredible view for about 15 minutes. I didn't want to forget. I am cliche like that. 




We loved both our Airbnb homes in Budapest and Prague. It's times like these that I really loved homes for rent. I really feel I get better local insights with Gabor and Zuzana. And to get lost in between the streets has its charm, although I may not appreciate at that time.

I hope you choose homes as well! Be close to the locals, lose in translation if have to. Enjoy your trip to Budapest - Vienna - Prague!! And if you need any help, let me know.

Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.