Skip to main content

Are you Hungary? Sorry can't help it

This country must be getting tired of this Hungary joke.
Can't help it though! 😅

Trying to figure out how to share my stories on Budapest, Vienna and Prague was not as straight forward as I imagined. I always plonk a few days in one post, but that's not really easy to read and it's realistically impossible to share things in one post.

So, I'll just start with food.

Anyone here knows what "Hungarian Food" really is? Cause prior to this, I HAD NO IDEA. I couldn't even relate its geographical location to its food. Far to the sea? Weather? Meat? Urm. 

So it was only natural that on our first night of arrival, we ate the most Hungarian Food imaginable. Turns out, Hungarian foods are...

..
....

Dumplings and peppers (or as they call it, paprika)!  



Mum ordered carrot + bread, which we laughed our heads off because there were just so much carrots mum finally met her match!! The endless amount of spoons of carrot into her mouth. By the 6th gobble she was already sweating trying to finish them.


Jessy ordered the chicken paprika and bread dumplings. In Asia, or at least in Malaysia, dumplings have meat fillings inside and are usually fried or steamed. So I mean, of course we legit expected that....

But, their bread dumplings are FAR CUTER!
Smaller shapes and plenty, it's almost like a replacement for rice!



And then there's mine. Before coming to Europe, I had dreamt of eating as much meat as I can. The rawest there are the better. So when I finally arrived Hungary, I switched my carnivore mode on. My first Hungarian meal was beef and bread. AH HEAVEN.

I loved the combination of medium rare cooked meat and bread, it was perfect.



In the upcoming days, like in all other parts of Europe we become starry eyed when we see their bakeries. The display of cakes, buns and breads are always SO DANGEROUSLY INVITING. I think it's the large clean glass of display.




On our first full day, before meeting up with Nicholas, we walked around a small market. I was so tempted to buy the fresh vegetables then and there! Mum finally allowed me to after the end of the walking trip. My eyes dazzled at all the colours, types, shapes and sizes of the cheeses, vegetables, meats and candies 😍😍




In the market itself for lunch, we had sauerkraut, more paprika, and goulash (a kind of beef stew soup). Correct me if I'm wrong, but Lemonade is a thing here in Hungary?!?!

And absolutely LOVE IT!! 😍😍😍😍



I bought local cheese, carrots, preserved pickles and bacons from the central market. I randomly stirred up a storm for a super late dinner and breakfast. I think mum and Jessy hated it. But I loved my own cooking trolololol.

One of my latest travel obsession are - juices and milk! Going into a supermarket or grocer is an absolute joy for me, I love trying them.



One of mum's favorite food in Budapest was ... in a CHINESE RESTAURANT. HAHAHA. By the 6th meal we were already getting antsy about eating more breads. Mum and Jessy wanted rice so we decided on a shop near our home.

HUGE PORTIONS, and thanks to some miscommunication we ended up with huge plates of a dumpling soup, a fried rice, 2 more rice and Jessy's ramen. UHM. And we were so much slower than everyone who went in and out of the restaurant in a flash. Well, maybe because it was a weekday and many people just wanted a quick lunch.

Between struggling to finish them, enjoying and nearly suffocating from eating at a very small corner - it was actually, one of the best meals we've had.



One of my personal favorite dining experience during the trip was also ...actually not Hungarian food. After a night trip surrounding the city of Budapest, we realized we were too late for the Hungarian restaurant I wanted to go since day 1. We literally ran towards the restaurant, asked the boys only to be given a BIG FAT NO to our faces 😔

So we walked a walk of shame back and decided on a very vibrant looking Turkish restaurant. OMG. It could be just me, but I remembered everything about the experience. How the waitress was grouchy throughout taking the order to eating with Jessy next to an interesting painting, to devouring the entire plate of kebab + meat. To being hesitant to eating another tiramisu.

It was a great night of meal and laughs with Jessy 💗



The next two morning upon check out, we finally tried out the cafe right in front of our home. Our host said it serves good breakfast. I picked some asparagus sandwich (FAVOURITE!!), Jess picked some pancakes (typical) and mum vegetables sandwich (double typical).



But if any, by far, the most important meal in Budapest was at the first restaurant I had wanted to go. I fleeted in joy when we arrived on time, but because we were EXTREMELY FULL from another Chinese meal (this time, not the best, but mum still wanted rice) we planned to order just desserts.

Lo and behold, Hungarian desserts will blow your mind.

Cheese, pancakes .. the way only Hungary could have done. We were so happy we came back despite arriving late the first day. And boy does it pay to be persistent. The table on our left had so much laughs, we overheard one of them were getting married and a friend was visiting hence the merry making.

The table on the right on the other hand...................
Was pitch silence. With occasional one person talking and replying to herself.



(And of course we were talking about them 😆)





Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.