Skip to main content

#throwback to my best flying experience

Sometime in May this year, the usual gang and I will be traveling on another long haul flight. We are in the midst of planning and many of these plans start from 6 months ahead (now).

I shudder at the thought of these upcoming long haul flights, with transits at ungodly hours and international airports that are full with visitors trailing around like ants 😥

But the worst ones remind me of some of my BEST long haul flights. 
Or even my best flight EVER! 
PERIOD.

Mum and I took a non-transit flight from Kuala Lumpur to Paris via Malaysia Airlines somewhere in 2014. At that time, they had a pretty awesome Malaysia Airlines Promo. 


Our first ever Euro trip! 
FIRST OF ALL, going on to a non-transit flight changed me. Like, completely! My life will never be the same again 😃

And just our luck, that the final seat between mum and I was vacant!!! 💃💃💃I think I almost shed some tears of joy, and did the happy dance upon knowing this. 

I will never forget this; 

After viewing the take-off (which was a magical sight itself because never before I took a plane THAT BIG with a view of a take-off LIKE THAT). I made myself comfortable with my purple pashmina. Look, I am only 5ft over, but that pashmina still couldn't cover my body, plus it was a thin material, I could see through mum while covering my face IN THE DARK (my head was on her lap at the moment). 

One senior looking flight attendant, presumably a supervisor stopped at our aisle, gently tapped me on the shoulder, looked at me and asked, can I give you pillows and blankets for you to sleep better? You can have as many.

I know this sounds like the MOST COMMON thing any flight attendant would do or SHOULD DO. But I NEVER GOT IT in any of the other long haul flights!!!

I gulped, and said. 
YES PLEASE 😭😭😭

He smiled at me and went off. About 5 minutes later, he came with not one not two, but THREE PILLOWS and TWO BLANKETS. One for mum each. And TWO pillows for me to sleep and HUG 😭

/touched

Throughout the flight, each and every flight attendant was amazing. LIKE AMAZING. I wanted apple juice, hot coffees and teas, breads, peanuts, more blankets, all of which they gave me without ANY EYE-ROLL. And it wasn’t just that one senior attendant, it was everyone!

They spoke so gently to me, and made me feel – safe and taken care. I had forgotten how comfortable flying can actually ever be, and they reminded me.


Making mum comfortable is my number 1 travel goal


It was my first time traveling long haul with mum, and to feel that she too felt taken care of throughout was absolutely important and heart-warming for me. I didn’t need to wake up every few minutes to check on mum, because I could hear the flutters and steps knowing they were already doing so 💖

Back in Rome Italy 

And it wasn't just THAT particular flight. 

Many of my best traveling moments were from Malaysia Airlines. I think it was truly the Malaysian Hospitality. I have tried many international flights, but nothing like the warmth I feel and get from Malaysia Airlines. 

On our way to Bario, the Mas Wings' pilots joked with us that we were getting the “business class”. Yuen and I turned at each other. Little did we know, that the small Fokker, having being able to carry only 12 read, 'TWELVE' passengers, was free seating 😝😝 LOL. 

And our seats were numbered one! 

Birds eye view of Bario - so breathtaking! 
I must admit flying to Bario was one of the scariest flying experience I’ve ever been through, but the captain and his co pilot made me feel so at ease 😊😂 Never mind we sat just right behind them and we had the birds’ eye view – I almost fainted when we realize we could see everything! 

GASP. 

I really appreciated the light hearted moments he created for me and Yuen prior to the take off. Since, we probably looked like sore thumbs among others. 

Thank you Malaysia Airlines! 

All these talking, now I miss flying! 

For our upcoming trip I've decided to use Traveloka Malaysia 😊  It's saving me the time and the headache to look out for all these flights on each of the website. My sister used it for her entire Perth trip last year and had the most amazing time, and saved so much while she's at it. 

Thankfully, I have narrowed down many of the airlines, but something tells me…. I’d probably book my favorite Malaysian Hospitality heh.


More updates on our upcoming the flight soon!  


Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.