Skip to main content

The Eco Wildlife City Sandakan


I know I owe Sri Lanka's complete post for the longest time, but since I'm now going back and forth to Sandakan, I might as well share more on this beautiful eco wildlife city for all of you. Sri Lanka will take a LOT of my time which I'm working on at the moment.

For starters - If you and your family only have the weekends to spare to travel anywhere you could in Malaysia, please choose Sandakan. Especially if you have kids. Sandakan used to be British's main port after their first move from Kudat, and if you followed my Instagram you would have known that it was reputed to have the most millionaires in the world thanks to the timber industry. As a result? Till today, Sandakan houses some of the richest people in the world, but they camouflage with everyone else so humbly.



The last time I was in Sandakan was 14 years ago and a lot has changed since then. Not drastically, but you do have some international brands sprouting slowly now, and the charm of the wildlife rehabilitation centres and sanctuaries have developed by leaps and bounds. Some even say the standards of the wildlife sanctuaries and centres are probably among the best in the world. I love the part when the video says "that these centres are conflicted between providing a sanctuary to these protected animals and delivering the requests from tourists of seeing these endangered species." 


I stayed at Four Points by Sheraton Sandakan, and it was epic. The place is right in the heart of Sandakan Harbour overlooking the Sulu Sea. They have the best views in the entire of Sandakan, stretched as far as the eyes can see. At one corner you'd see the berhala island with sunrise, and the other with sunset. They also have this infinity pool that overlooks both the Sulu Sea and Sandakan Bay which is truly breathtaking.





I had to work the entire week, but that didn't stop me from exploring Sandakan on some mornings and some nights after work. I loved how 1Malaysia Sandakan truly is. Everyone of different cultures and races enjoy the coffeehouses and restaurants together, and workplace is so jovial with everyone around.

What looks like a picture / painting.


I am very lucky to have colleagues who enjoy the best food around. From Bah Kut Teh to Morning Breakfasts to Tarts. Sandakan is a hidden gem of exciting foodie discovery.

Things to do in Sandakan: 

I know I'm no genius when it comes to Sandakan still, but here are some suggestions rather things that you MUST do while you're in Sandakan. (I especially think so when you have little kids with you)

1) Try renting a car. Sandakan is a very small place. But good food and sights are to be explored so renting a car might just be perfect for your discovery. This is a combination of renting a car and GO CRAZY WITH SANDAKAN'S FOOD.




2) Sandakan Heritage Trail is one of the council's effort to promote the heritage of the beautiful city. From hundreds of years ago, the landmarks from the heritage trail are beautiful stories of the past of Sandakan. Choose to take an hour or so walk of the trail, or jog / run around town following the route!

3) Wildlife, wildlife - Sepilok Orang Utan Sanctuary, Sun Bear Conservation Centre & Rainforest Discovery Centre await the young wildlife explorers and those who enjoy the millions of years age of trees, all standing tall at its glory. Honestly, the first thing that I had in my mind when I went through these three fun and beautiful centres were how I wish I'd bring my kids in the future! Not only are these centres VERY educational, they're very well maintained as well, and rangers and people there are helpful with some of the things that you're interested in. You can adopt an orang utan too, if you'd like to extend more help. There specific feeding times for Sepilok so, please come before 10am to get yourself sorted out. These entrance fees cost, at best MYR 7 so it's really affordable and worth it. It's mostly just a 10 minutes walk, but being part of a conservation effort among their natural habitat is very cool.


SUN BEARS!! ARE SO CUTE!! 

4) Lankayan Island or Islands - I was told that Lankayan Island is a whole level of class compared to Sipadan. I honestly, did not know this. I was told the wonders of the Sulu Sea at Lankayan Island is INCOMPARABLE. If you're a diving sport, this might just be your next place.

These are just of my suggestions for at very least 3 Days / 2 Nights in Sandakan, but of course, this place is so charming you just needed to find a companion or two, and you're set!

Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.