Skip to main content

MH - Malaysian Hospitality

When mum and I decided on our destinations for the Euro Trip back in February, we had left the vital bit the last thing to decide on - which airline?

Some friends told us to take Qatar Airways, rightfully so because they have had an excellent service record and they were in fact on promotion (which was just nice). Some proposed Singapore Airlines for the same reasons (which was quite expensive at that time). But mum wasn't sure about any other airlines but the airlines she grew up with, back in hay-day when there were absolutely no competitions.

So we did. "Plus, we should probably help them out"

We decided on Malaysia Airlines, largely because it should feel most like home when we're traveling 13 hours to Paris, and about 9 hours from Istanbul back to KL. Plus, the rates were pretty competitiv with Qatar Airways. So after locking in our tickets, we were ready for our long haul flights.

***

It was my first experience being on board Boeing A380 Double Decker that probably accommodated nearly 500 of us en route to Paris - and it was insanely amazing. I was wondering why we had two entrances (top and bottom) had I only seen the stairs going up the upper deck when I went to the lavatory halfway through the journey.

I was like, F*CK, this is a huge plane! As if seeing the huge plane's take-off through the external camera wasn't an indicator that the plane was gigantic. Minus the glamourised flawless take-off and the magnificent A380 at its glory sky high, the most worthy thing to speak about when it comes to Malaysian Airlines, above anything else and beyond was its service.

I have had always heard of the metaphor 'Home away from home' but nothing ever came close to pinning or living more like in that definition than being in THAT particular April 10, MH 20, 11.40PM flight from KL - Paris.

Smiles and welcome greetings were expected, but not the bit when they realised I had trouble sleeping, so they gave me a few more pillows and suggestion of some drinks to relax me. Or that part where they chatted with my mum because she had wandering eyes, or that bit when they noticed my colourful socks, or when they assured my mum she could have as much peanut snacks as she wanted, or the part when they asked us our destinations and shared some suggestions. All these with instinctive sincerity.

I haven't been trying a lot of other airlines, but others that I had used previously were not even the slightest bit of close to the service I had received from this spectacular bench of stewards and stewardess from this flight. I had forgotten why Malaysia Airlines was what it was, but that flight reminded me everything about my childhood, about my dad, about my mum, and why it was the most prestigious airline ever graced the sky in the 90s. It was like the Ratatouille of flight. Their hospitality was impeccable.

(while I slept like a baby the entire flight from Istanbul - KL)

I remembered trusting them with my toys, my games, and my parents who traveled a lot with them and in that 13 hours of probably the most amazing flight I had ever been on in my entire life, I remembered why exactly, why WE ALL loved Malaysia Airlines - its Malaysian Hospitality.

I had decided to share this story because I regretted not tweeting it to @MAS right after the flight, I regretted not telling the world what a remarkable the team @MAS had supporting its back, I had regretted not giving them credit.

All the deserving credit.

Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.