Skip to main content

Getting Visa: Myanmar/ Burma

A couple of weeks back I asked some friends online whether they knew about Burma's visa application. No one  answered, naturally I would think either people didn't want to reply or simply didn't know what to reply. I figured the latter was more like it because right after that, I decided to Google it on my own and I landed nowhere (except for the embassy of course), so I'm guessing no one or so few have only traveled to Burma to know that among all the ASEAN countries, only Burma requires a Visa. Both tourist and business visa. Imagine having conferences and seminars at Myamar, going back forth and all to get the visa >.< 

So what does one do when they've bought their cheap fares from AA to Yangon among many? Visa.

They're a few things you must know about getting a visa to anywhere in the world from Malaysia, that most of their offices are only available in Kuala Lumpur. While... I am in Kota Kinabalu.... working... Monday to Saturday.... Imagine that 5 second frustration I had to go through knowing this only weeks before going off. What if the visa application takes forever? What if they don't allow me?

If it wasn't for KinkyBlueFairy's post on Myanmar I had read last year or was it, that I knew visa can be done without me actually doing it! Which means you can actually hire a runner to do all the application etc etc etc, and thankfully, my beautiful sister is studying in KL so I had to ask her to do EVERYTHING for me. She was fine with it, but she has no car and she's staying in Subang, so I knew I needed to sponsor everything, from her cab rides to her meals to of course that application making her life easy when I'm already taking her time.

What you need to know about the visa is that it is valid for 3 months only. So once you obtained your visa, the clock starts ticking. In fact, they even stamp the actual date you need to leave the country too. While other foreign friends have done overstaying their visas in some countries, I'm not sure doing so at what used to be a military governed country is a good idea....... plus it's downright illegal. So you must know that you don't need to make your visa as early as you thought you should, two weeks before travel in at tops can be your best bet.

If you check the Myanmar Embassy in Kuala Lumpur's website they had mentioned that they are open on Saturdays, but after calling in they're not. Thankfully my sister had no classes on Wednesdays, so it was okay for me to steal her time and for her do it on Wednesdays but for anyone working, you have to figure this out.

Fees: 
  • Normal application : MYR 80 
  • Express application: MYR 110 - MYR 150 (I had a range because mine was MYR 110 but it says otherwise on the website)
Things to bring: 
  • Your actual passport 6 mths validity (they will take this from you at first, and it will be returned) 
  • Photocopies of your passport x 2 
  • Photocopies of your itinerary and/ or boarding passes (return) x 2
  • Two passport photos (the one with white background)

Myanmar Embassy in Kuala Lumpur
Contact number: 03 204020
Fax number: 03 381 200
Email: visa@mail40.com.mm
Office hours: 09:00am to 17:00pm (Monday to Friday) 

Alternatively, if you're traveling with your family and friends and don't plan to go through all these hassle or maybe because you're NOT staying in Kuala Lumpur (like me) you can request for visa application via travel agencies. Sometimes that include flight and their services.

Myanmar and Bali respectively are finally on its way, after my first dreadful cancellation on Bali last year I am still allergic to the idea of cancelling my trips [think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts]. That's all folks, I hope this has helped some people out there.

I’ll update from Yangoon! 

Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.