Skip to main content

Lihing Cocktail Party

A couple of weeks back, Chris invited me over to a "special" cocktail party.  It was going to be a local Lihing mixer party, a type of local alcohol brewed and made by locals ourselves. I have attended all kinds of cocktail parties, but this was the first of its kind. And honestly, lihing wasn't really a favourite, so to give this drink a chance alongside with a bunch of really great  company was something I figured should be SO cool!

To start with, 'lihing' is a native produce of Sabah and some say they originated by the Kadazandusuns. They are made from fermented glutinous rice toppled and mixed with sugar and yeast. That makes lihing basically a rice wine. 

I took one photo from that night, which I have loaded on Instagram. The remaining of the photos are from Sabby, thank heavens Sabby. I thought I should share this cocktail party idea, because this has turned lihing (which I have religiously refused previously), a delicious treat!

The boys took charge most of the time. Nat, Steph and I personally were too scared of poisoning others so we tried others' instead  >.< 



Neville and Chris were thrown on a face-off on who could make the best smoothie, with random ingredients pushed to them. There were tons of them, that I must say, even I don't remember what they were! I remembered lime... dragon fruit... nata de coco.... and... some other stuff. I should have remembered them!


Proudly? 

Neville's funky mix. I think I preferred his over Chris'. It had more taste, despite the bland look. But that's me. Some preferred Chris'.


Halfway through, some of us managed to insert in Cranium. Most of us never played before, only me and Natasha, so it was really funny seeing all of them confused most of the time. I played a couple of years back, so I knew most of it, but some finer details, not quite. 


Ladies doing their thing with their smoothies. Mmm, I must say the fruits made the rice wine taste sooo much better! 


Aftermath. 


Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.