Skip to main content

First Ever Food Post

You know you're ageing when you talk a lot about the (genuinely) good things in life; like food, places, friends and laughters. Instead of material things. I don't know, maybe it's the ageing me instead.

This time, I'm going to talk about how domesticated I've been! I've been engrossed with all things baking and cooking these past few weeks, it's like I am slowly settling in.

A couple of weeks back was the FIRST TIME I'VE EVER BAKED. Like, I didn't even know what "pre-heat" meant or how F and C differed (like seriously) and how to proportion ingredients. It’s damn sad.

But I knew I had to do one thing. One thing… I knew I had to learn how to bake an apple pie. I love my apple pie. So much that it was really the push that I needed for me to actually pick up baking and go.
So that Sunday, I decided Imma bake an apple pie and top it with vanilla ice cream!  

This was a really good dish of its own. I cut the apples thin slice and mixed walnuts with cinnamon sugar. I think you can even eat it own its own! I know I will. 

 
So after much Youtubing and reading, I finally manage to start on my pie. My first time was a glorious success, the second one however wasn’t. I forgot that I had left my heater to TOP only instead of BOTH (this is some baking talk).

My apple pie with vanilla ice cream on top. You have to eat it while it's hot!



And then cookies!


I figured since some of my Muslim friends are going to fast soon this Ramadhan month, I was wondering whether I could bake some cookies for them instead. So that my friend, was my motivation. I bought all sorts of things for the cookies, and next thing you know on a Sunday as well, I went through all the baking and puffing and voila! I’ve got my cookies mojo on.

The first and the second time were major success :D


Every other day (especially when I’m alone) I try to improvise and make good food for myself. Especially breakfast and lunch. I manage to take a photo of this mushroom sandwich I made that I truly love! I sautéed some mushrooms and onions and mash it with sunny side egg while I toasted the bread as well. Big time YUM.


Well that's all folks. These are the only ones I've managed to snap so far, can't wait to learn more kitchen tricks and my hope is to whip out some fine dinner for some close friends :)

Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.