Skip to main content

World Press Photo Expo, KK

Rushed to One Borneo last night just to catch the World Press Photo Expo with brother before he drives back to Kota Marudu.

Oh my God, the pictures were incredible.

I teared looking at most of the photos. Which was something I didn't agree with (maybe I'm in denial). Most of the photos are tragic. World is filled with tragic truths, and because of that, in most cases, photojournalism tries to convey messages that we should appreciate what we have. But I believe the world is filled with the good and the bad, and the good seems to be underrated most often in photojournalsim especially. Why is that so?


Sigh. Am I indenial? 

In the midst of all the photographed tragedies deemed as best stories of the world in '11, I saw this. The brightest among all.


Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo   
Joséphine Nsimba Mpongo, 37, practices the cello in the Kimbanguiste neighborhood of Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo. She is a member of the Orchestre Symphonique Kimbanguiste (OSK), Central Africa’s only symphony orchestra. During the day, Joséphine sells eggs in Kinshasa’s main market, and rehearses with the orchestra most evenings during the week. The OSK was founded by its current conductor Armand Diangienda in 1994. Initially, just a few dozen musicians shared the small number of instruments they had at their disposal. Today, the OSK can muster 200 players for a concert. Most are self-taught amateurs who hold down day jobs all over the city. 
Photo credit:  
Panos Pictures for Der Spiegel 
Andrew McConnell speaks about the project: 
"I was sent on assignment by Der Spiegel magazine to photograph the Kimbanguiste Symphony Orchestra in Kinshasa, DR Congo. Two German filmmakers were in town to premier a movie they had made about the orchestra and I was to document the event. The orchestra practices at the conductor’s compound in the Kimbanguiste neighborhood of the city, a place filled with musicians that reverberates to the sounds of string, brass, wind and percussion instruments. The compound was separated from the street by green corrugated plastic and I made the picture with the intention of showing two worlds side by side, one chaotic, poverty ridden and sad, and the other rising above all that, beautiful, inspired, and full of possibility."

My heart sank, I was holding my tears, and acknowledged these amazing hidden creatures out there. That despite the chaotic life we live through, we should live passionately and embrace moments that make us the happiest in life. Easy, slow, true and close to heart.

World Press Photo, Kota Kinabalu 
Monday - Friday 11.00am - 10.00pm
Saturday - Sunday 10.00am - 10.00pm
1 Borneo Hypermall, Jln Sulaman 88400
KK, Sabah
            + 603 2333 2888      


Love,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Noralip B.H. said…
Hi..Happy to hear that you drop by 2 the WPP exhibition.Yes. I agree with you about the wonderful shots and the outstanding work of art from the world class photojournalist.
Noralip: Oh I loved it! I see you are a photojournalist too :) You have great pictures <3

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.