Skip to main content

Medea

Kent promised to meet up with me for lunch but after almost an hour or so waiting alone - I realised I was (instinctively) drawn to all my theatrical skills that I learned back in Uni when I'm alone, observing.

They were,

1. Describing live characters in detail (usually the ones that attract me the most)
2. Listening attentively to conversations around me
3. Basically then create my own drama from all that I've picked up

The epitome of theatre, is conflict. Our lives are nothing but a series of jumbled up events that comprises of interpersonal and intrapersonal conflicts. Plots are never derived from contentment. Never.
"O Romeo, Romeo! wherefore art thou Romeo?
Deny thy father and refuse thy name.
Or if thou wilt not, be but sworn my love
And I'll no longer be a Capulet." William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet.
Theatres' background and environment descriptions will not be spoonfed at it's entirety. It leaves most to dialogues - hence the hour long monologues and dialogues that you see on stage. Spectators that can never stand too much dialogues will well, find theatre boring. On the other hand, when one likes the build up of the conflicts you are will most certainly be glued to it. Conflicts happen because of the secondary point in theatre, - clashes of characters.

Here's what I've come up with from the half an hour observation session. See whether you could picture what kind of character I'm describing, and comment if you think you know ;

*huff, puff - huff, puff*

"I don't understand this girl. Her eyes grope me like she knows me, met me before. Like she understands me, like she knows me.
That smile. An acknowledgement? These grains are falsely attracting my eyes, making circles, making shapes. While I sit here being stared at for no reason. Dear God, let me change seats. The stand fan's barely blowing any air, crumpety sounds. Old pictures make stories. I make stories. Ceramic cups.
***
I could still feel her. My gold chains are clucking against the table. Like a sing song warning. Shines. Sun rays hit my gold chains like. *huff-puff, huff-puff** Almost like a pride show of masculinity. Okay, twenty's over.
***
"十一个,两个十六"
Maybe I should show them to her. She seems a bit tired. She could use abit of entertainment.

That all aside, I've bought my tickets for Medea next Friday, October 15. My first play since I first move to KL. I think besides all the gifts that I've given to my family this would be my best investment (for myself too) so far :)

Excited!

Love & peace,
Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pulau Sapi @ Tunku Abdul Rahman Parks

Before I proceed to my write up on Pulau Sapi, let me do the duty to carefully explain to you why there are so many people talking about so many islands at the mention of the word, Sabah. Reason why I'm doing so is because whenever people visit KK City, they have very limited time in exploring most of the natural gorgeous attractions, and sometimes ended up just moving around KK City. And when one does that, people would usually end up asking, why are there so many mentions of islands when we get to experience none?  As you can see from the previous Matthew Paul map below; Sabah is situated close to top north of the Borneo Island. That said, it's a privilege to say that tons of islands are under the local towns and cities surrounding the shores of this particular part of Borneo island. From Sipitang (look out from South left), imagine yourself  "walking" from the Sipitang's shore / beach walk up slowly to Menumbuk, Kuala Penyu, Pulau Tiga, Kota Kinabalu, Tun

Pulau Mantanani // Mantanani Island

I started off my 10 day break with a day trip to Mantanani. I wanted to visit Mantanani for THE LONGEST TIME, but couldn’t get around doing so all these while, either I haven’t saved up enough or basically, just haven’t got the weekends to spare it with.   Some folks call it the mermaid island because of the dugong sightings underwater – which is seriously magical. Some folks even say you could catch a glimpse of dolphins. They’ve had photos with it, but I personally have never seen them before.  Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to share with you why this trip was important.    If you see the map above, I’ve yellow squared Mantanani Island in comparison to the journey from Kota Kinabalu. If you’re not a map kind of person, that is --- quite far. Not Sipadan (Tawau, Sandakan, Lahad Datu kind of far) but far enough to be a put off to some locals at times. Previously, you’d have to drive up north for approximately 1.5 hours, or take a bus to Kota Belud, to

Poem I wrote myself for my birthday

Love,  Jacqueline Rowena @ Jacqkie.